Turkey, Leafy Greens and Black Bean Taco Filling
-Plus 4 Ways to Use It!
I love, love, love, LOVE, taco night, taco afternoon and taco weekend. This is truly a family friendly recipe and great meal prep idea… Here are the Ingredients (click to see picture and download recipe):
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 1/2 of a sweet onion chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper diced (optional)
- About 1 and 1/2 cups of chopped kale a lot – or spinach or aurgula
- 1 Medium sweet pepper chopped small (optional)
- 1 15oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2-3 cups cauliflower rice/crumbles (Fit Chicks! additions)
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried Cumin (do more to taste)
- Healthy pinch of Kosher Salt
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, spray with non-stick spray and brown the turkey with onion. Dice the Jalapeno and add it to the browning meat. Leave in the seeds and ribs if you’d like a bit more heat.
Add the chopped kale (or spinach) to the skillet with a pinch of salt and stir all together. Add in the diced pepper, black beans and spices. Cook for a few more minutes allowing all the flavors to merge and the pepper to soften just a little bit.
Lower to a simmer to keep warm until ready to use. Note: if you notice the meat starting to dry out, just add a tablespoon or 2 of salsa. Moistens things right up!
Use this taco filling 4 ways for dinner and a fun leftover dish
- The Husband Classic Tacos on Soft Shells – He likes them with just a little salsa, cheese and lettuce. Although I make him use spinach instead. 😉
- The Little Guy’s Quesadilla – I started making quesadillas on taco night when he was little because they stayed together easier. Now they are one of his favorites. I always add some mashed avocado and chopped spinach in there too!
- Taco Lettuce wraps.
When I have a nice head of lettuce I’ll use the leaves instead of shells. It saves me a few calories so I don’t feel guilty piling on the cheese and avocado. 🙂
- Leftovers tossed with sautéed cabbage
The next day for a warm lunch I tossed some shredded cabbage in a skillet with taco meet and cooked until the leaves wilted. Topped with a bit of salsa it made a fabulous lunch!
Fit Chicks! is locally owned and operated by women for women.
We live, work and worship right in your community.
Come visit. Connect with yourself and us!